Identification of an antique bassoon

Moderatoren: Dr. Enrico Weller, Mario Weller

Antworten
jadochem2881

Identification of an antique bassoon

Beitrag von jadochem2881 »

I have recently acquired an antique bassoon with an unusual key mechanism for the improvement of the high G. The axis of this mechanism is on the other side as is usual with Heckel system bassoons. Also, the key for G is kept on "the old place". The bassoon bears no makers name. Similar unidentified instrument are found regularly on auctions.

Fortunately, in my instrument the axis of the unusual key mechanism has been marked with DRGM 301669. This directly leads to the maker Adler in Markneukirchen who applied for this DRGM and which was assigned at 25-01-1907. Sofar, I believe that they are the only makers that have applied this mechanism and therefore this mechanism could be to be considered as characteristic for Adler instruments around the year 1910.

I have asked the German Patentambt for the full text of the DRGM. They heve told me that all documents have been lost during wars.

My question for the museum is: would the museum have this text or may be a drawing of the DRGM 301669 as they are so close to the source (Adler company).

This extra proof would be important as I intend to do a paper on the identification of these antique bassoon without a makers stamp but with this mechanism. May be, "das Rohrblatt or the IDRS journal. Obviously, if you can make a contribution it will be highly appreciated and I will refer to that.

Please, you can react in German, English is not needed. I can read German but writing it without horrible mistakes is an other matter. I do have a photo of the key mechanism but as yet I heve not figured out how to make an attachment of it.

thanking in anticipation,

dr. J.A. van Doorn
amateur bassoonist with interest in development of bassoons from ca. 1900 till the present

Dr. Enrico Weller
Mitglied des Museumsvereins

Re: Identification of an antique bassoon

Beitrag von Dr. Enrico Weller »

Sehr geehrter Herr van Doorn,

Ihr Angebot, auf Deutsch zu antworten, nehme ich gerne an, auch wenn ich Ihnen kaum etwas Neues sagen kann. Anhand der DRGM-Nummer haben sie Ihr Instrument der Firma O. Adler & Co. zuweisen können.

Zu den DRGM hat Karl Ventke vor einigen Jahren geschrieben: „Leider sind die patentamtlichen Anmeldeunterlagen bis etwa 1933 im letzten Weltkrieg verloren gegangen. Gebrauchsmuster wurden mitunter in Fachzeitschriften, Ausstellungsberichten und Firmendrucken beschrieben; sonst könnten zur näheren Klärung nur noch erhaltene Unterlagen der Anmelder - soweit noch existent - weiterhelfen.“*

Deshalb kommt man über die Recherche beim Patentamt nicht weiter. Der Anmeldeeintrag lautet komplett: „G-Mechanik für Fagotte unterhalb der F-Klappe angeordnetem Mitnehmerhebel zwecks Betätigung eines Fingers, der an der Welle zur G-Mechanik sitzt.“

Mehr habe ich nicht und auch in unserem Museum gibt es dazu nichts. Es könnte maximal sein, dass die Firma Adler (jetzt im Rahmen der Fa. Gebrüder Mönnig) noch ein Exemplar der DRGM-Unterlagen mit Zeichnung etc. besitzt. Da müssten sie dort nachfragen. In den mir bzw. im Museum vorliegenden Adler-Katalogen um 1910 ist das DRGM leider nicht erwähnt. Das ist eigenartig, denn mit solchen Schutzrechten machte man eigentlich gerne Werbung. Man könnte dort maximal die Abbildungen vergleichen.

Viele Grüße
E. Weller

Ventzke, Karl; Weller, Enrico: Deutsche Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster (DRGM) für Holzblasinstrumente 1892-1940 - Eine Zusammenstellung und Auswertung zur Innovations-Dokumentation im deutschen Blasinstrumentenbau und als Datierungshilfe für Musikinstrumente, in: IZ 59. 11/12 (2005), S. 13-16.

kevin

Beitrag von kevin »

dear colleagues, I just came across this discussion concerning the DRGM-Nummer 301669. I recently acquired a bassoon with the label "Carl Fischer" of New York. The DRGM # is stamped on the rod connected to a ring on the second hole on the boot joint (see photo). Would this indicate that the bassoon had been made at the Adler factory, then exported to the USA under the Carl Fischer label?
thanks and best wishes
Kevin Tuite
Dateianhänge
DRGM-Fischer.jpg
DRGM-Fischer.jpg (40.67 KiB) 1523 mal betrachtet

jadochem2881

kevin hat geschrieben:dear colleagues, I just came across this discussion concerning the DRGM-Nummer 301669. I recently acquired a bassoon with the label "Carl Fischer" of New York. The DRGM # is stamped on the rod connected to a ring on the second hole on the boot joint (see photo). Would this indicate that the bassoon had been made at the Adler factory, then exported to the USA under the Carl Fischer label?
thanks and best wishes
Kevin Tuite

jadochem2881

Oh yes I am convinced this is an Adler bassoon. I have found an instrument in the Leipzig museum that has similar key work and that one is also stamped ADLER in a cartouche. Also, other details are the same. I have also proof for a relation between Adler and Carl Fischer. There is a bassoon marked with both names. I still intend to do a paper for IDRS on this subject, probaly next year.

Probably, you can find a serial number on the "rim" of the boot cap.

dr. JA van Doorn
jadochem@outlook.com

Antworten