Musima Cello

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
maazito

Musima Cello

Beitrag von maazito »

I recently bought a Musima 3/4 cello for my son and I have been fascinated by the interesting history of MarkneuKirchen and its music making. I really hope I will be able to visit the town one day.

Anyway, back to the my question. Inside the cello I can see a label reading:

VEB Musikinstrumentenbau Markneukirchen [Sa.]
Musima
Made in German Demokratic Republic
III/23/03
K-Gr 013/60

Does any of this say anything about the quality or age of this cello? Am I right in assuming that it is a pre-1990 instrument?

Any feedback warmly appreciated.

Regards,

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Musima Cello

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hi maazito,

this label say absolutely nothing about the quality of the cello.

VEB Musikinstrumentenbau Markneukirchen [Sa.] Musima is the factory. Made in GDR you know and the numbers are a permission to print. This permission was necessary even for such a little label! III means Saxony, the next digits are standing for the town and the printers if I am right. May be the 60 is a year, but I'm not sure.

Of course this must be a cello made before 1990.

Come to Markneukirchen, bring your cello with you. You are welcome in our museum and in the workshops. I guess here you will get more information.

Sincerely yours

Udo

maazito

Re: Musima Cello

Beitrag von maazito »

Thanks for the quick reply. Coming to the museum would be nice, but it won't happen soon unfortunately (I live in England and travelling by plane with a cello is not that simple).

I enclose a picture of the instrument. I bought it second hand for little money, I am not expecting it to be particularly valuable. But it's nice to learn that it has a little history. Is there any way to find out more about its age? I cannot see any serial number. Any particular part or sign, maybe, that could reveal how old it is? (I could post more picture if needed)

Thanks for your time.
Dateianhänge
IMG_3535_6.jpg
IMG_3535_6.jpg (20.21 KiB) 4790 mal betrachtet

Antworten