I* C* H* Hammig cello with "unclean" fire-stamp

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
saschaB

I* C* H* Hammig cello with "unclean" fire-stamp

Beitrag von saschaB »

In a reply to another subject concerning Johann Christian Hammig I have showed these photos of the fire-stamp in the bottom of my cello. The cello has twice been totally demolished (still it sounds beautiful!), so I'm uncertain how the "sign" between the "I" and the "C" should be interpreted. No other label is present. Any ideas?
/sascha
Bild
Bild

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: I* C* H* Hammig cello with "unclean" fire-stamp

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hi Sascha,

in my opinion this is the really typical brand of Johann Christian Hammig II with St. Andrew's crosses. Only the 6th cross is missing but I guess the cleat covers this cross. May be we can see the begin of the cross, see attachment.

Bild

Could it be that the "sign" between I and C just happened by accident?

Sincerely

Udo

saschaB

Beitrag von saschaB »

Hi Udo!

Thank you very much for sharing your judgment! So, I have now learned that the signature is that of Johann Christian II which then must be the son (not the father).

Concerning the "extra sign", if you look at the region surrounding it, I imagine you could see traces of repair work? The middle-left part of the letter "C" is actually missing. Couldn't it be that once, after a severe damage in the area, it simply wasn't possible to put all the little pieces together in their exact original positions?

Yours sincerely
/sascha

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hi Sascha,

what damage do you mean? I myself cannot recognize any cracks in that area. And it is really impossible to assemble many fragments of wood (like a "puzzle") without any visible marks of glue.

May be he simple touched the wood with the hot iron...

Sincerely

Udo

saschaB

Beitrag von saschaB »

Of course you're right (and I must stop staring at these pictures now)! My original concern was if any additional information about the instrument was hidden here, and the answer would then clearly be no. Thank you once again!
Yours
/sascha

Antworten